Back to my
Main China Page
on Sabbatical in China - 2006
The primary purpose of my trip to China in 2006 was a sabbatical to foster connections between the CofC and China, especially with Fuling Normal University. I went with a teaching group that was going to be in China during July, to teach American English and customs to Chinese students. I spent a couple of weeks in Fuling during July, teaching some great young students. Then my three Fuling compatriots and I rejoined the larger group in Chongqing, went to Xi'an for a bit of touring, and I headed back to Chongqing and Fuling.
The basic flow of the trip was:
- Arrive in Beijing, 4 July, spend a couple of days there
- Fly to Chongqing, then four of us take a bus to Fuling
- Stay in Fuling for about two weeks, teaching kids American language and customs
- Rejoin with the group teaching in Chongqing, and tour for a few days
- Leave the group in Xi'an, and on my own until September
- Teaching at Yangtze Normal University (formerly Fuling NU) in Fuling, China, September-December
- My July students
- My friend Challenge, his daughter, and some students, in Bishan.
- A great meal at the Jiang Shi Fish Head Restaurant in Bishan.
- My friend Angela and her boyfriend, being my tour guides in Chengdu.
- A cute kid in Fengdu wearing a helmet.
- My class on Monday morning at FNU.
- Samantha and Caroline in the depths of Fuling, heading to the Catholic Church.
- Enthusiastic students at a middle school in Fuling.
- Lunch at my usual spot just outside the front gate.
- Entering campus of FNU from the front gate.
- Looking down towards the front gate, and across the Wu River to Fuling.
- My best friends at FNU, Gabriel, Chris, and Samantha.
- Out the window of my apartment on campus.
- Out the window of one of my classrooms.
- Hot Pot! the most famous dish in the region.
- A lunch with some friends, family style, at work in July.
- The staff at our favorite eatery in Fuling. We called it Nicole's restaurant.
- Fruits and veges plentiful, and beautiful in Fuling.
- Chris's birthday cake at a party in Fuling.
- Dinner at Peter's Tex-Mex restaurant in Chengdu with three young friends.
- My teacher friends, Annie and Emily, at a wedding I crashed in Fuling.
- Cornelia and her mother, a pleasant surprise at the wedding.
- English Corner, every Wednesday night at the KFC in Fuling.
- Emperor Jeff, with his concubines in Chengdu.
- With some students at a party, at FNU.
- A couple of my students hanging out.
- A wild gathering of students who wanted to get in a photo with me at number 5 middle school in Fuling.
- The small town of Baitao, up the Wu River had a small school we visited.